If you have moved from slot machines to video poker, which I hope you have done, and you have mastered Jacks or Better, don’t try playing Deuces Wild, Double Bonus or Jacks Wild.
At least don’t play them until you have read and understand the strategy for each of those different games. They can be very different and to be successful you need to know what the exact play is for any given hand of those various and different machine games.
There are plenty of books and strategy cards available to help you learn the strategy for each video poker game. Try the Internet where you can get some good information, and also order some strategy cards. Don’t forget that video poker is one of only five games where the player can find the odds moving in their favor. [Editor’s note: The best video poker machines and their strategies can be found in Jerry “Stickman’s” book “Everything Casino Poker.”]
Remember you can take those strategy cards right to a casino machine and use them as you play. No one will bother you. Don’t try to learn at a machine, it’s the school of hard knocks; it is also the most expensive school.
When you first start playing video poker, particularly when learning a new game, take your time, play slow, and maybe only insert one coin instead of five when first learning a machine. Later you should always play five coins which will help your overall win-rate.
BET YOU DIDN’T KNOW
• Normal playing time at video poker is 8-hands a minute. If you play the maximum of five quarters per hand, that can be $600 per hour.
• When the Sun Coast Hotel & Casino opened on September 1, 2000, on the south end of Las Vegas Boulevard, it was the first Las Vegas casino to have all coinless video poker machines.
• South Carolina has over 30,000 machines in convenience stores, pizza parlors and bowling alleys scattered all across that state.
• When it comes to live poker, a player in a card room will normally experience about 40 hands an hour. Playing video poker a player will average about 400 hands an hour.
• Video poker is a very popular game in casinos today. However, the first poker-playing machines were originally introduced in 1891.
• If you should hit the Royal Flush and win 4,000 quarters at video poker, do not worry as you won’t be paid in 10 pounds of quarters. You will be paid in cash.
This article is provided by the Frank Scoblete Network. Melissa A. Kaplan is the network's managing editor. If you would like to use this article on your website, please contact Casino City Press, the exclusive web syndication outlet for the Frank Scoblete Network. To contact Frank, please e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
John Marchel's Website:
Books by John Marchel: